Saturday, August 29, 2009

My Obsession

Ever since I was a little girl, I had a crush towards foreign languages. English was the first language that cought my attention. Public schools at that time didn't offer English classes for the students. Private schools did, but there were few students who were interested in learning another language. I was among those who liked to learn English. I remember that moment where I just started to glow in English, and that probably what made me popular at English classes- it was when I found a musical movie for kids in English. I remember that song, my first English song, in that musical cartoon video the girl was playing the piano and her lovely brown cat was dancing around on " You & me tog~ther we'll be..fore~ver you'll see..We two~ can be good company..You & me". Soon I've memorized that song, I went to my teacher and told her that I can sing an English song. She was surprised I guess but however..right when I sang in front of the whole class, I saw the proud look on her eyes~ It was my peak moment. After that my English teacher introduced my skills in singing in English to the whole school..and boy~ at least there was something I'm good at !! I was just 10 years or so at that time. From there and then, I knew that my future is going to be built up on that. At high school, I forgot about it and just focused on my wish to get to the Business College at King Saud University _ KSU- not really knowing that I'll be studying English Literature at the same universirty. It's amazing how my life one way or the other revolves about English and about learning languages. Now that I'm at an O.K level in English..I plan to improve my skills a bit more so I master it perfectly, then I'll move on to another language. My obsession about learning othere languages I think comes from
me wanting to communicate with the world. Like I need the world to hear me . Being able to speak more than two languages is just great, and it's even greater when you take advantage of that talent in a good way. Now that I have already fallin in love with Asian dramas, I feel that it's
going to be easy in sha Allah to learn Japanese or chinese someday. To leave you with a good spirit about my topic: do you think that it's good for the mind to learn more than two languages? is it going to be helpful for the learner in his life? since these are my two unanswered questions after an exciting discussion that I had yesterday with my uncle..who speaks three languages but at the same time argue that it is not always good for the mind's health,

No comments: